Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How Important are Politics to you? & My Thoughts on the All-Star weekend (mainly the dunk contest)



So last night at dinner with my family, politics came up. We all know they can be a touchy subject, but that is not really what this post is about. I am curious to know how important politics are to you.  At what age for they start becoming important? Yes, I know when you are young and in grade school, but at what age does it not only become relevant to your life but also something you begin to follow more closely? I know that throughout 90% of last night’s conversation I had no idea about what was being discussed. In the last few years I have attempted to follow politics more and more, but sometimes I just don’t care. I know they affect me on a daily basis, but for me, I just can’t seem to get interested in them. Is there a perfect age when politics become relevant to you? In my opinion, I doubt it. However I do think it is important to have a basic understanding of the politics around you. For example, I have a basic understanding of the issues in Egypt, but I doubt that I can have a well-informed debate about them. Maybe some people have what it takes to follow them and some people don’t, I am not sure, but I want to hear from you!  You know my stance, so what is yours? What is important to you and what isn’t?





This past weekend was the NBA All –Star weekend and it seemed to have lived up to the hype! The Rookies beat the Sophomores in a fun game where Wall made a sick pass to Blake! Then there was the All-Star game itself in which  the West was ahead for most of the game, until close to the end when the East tried making a comeback, however the West held it together to get the win!
Saturday was the biggest day of the All Star weekend – Congrats to Steph Curry, Team Atlanta and James Jones on winning their respective contests. A huge congrats to Blake Griffin for winning the Slam Dunk Contest!  I had two major issues with the Slam Dunk Contest. Firstly, Ibaka was totally ripped off! I am a huge Clipper fan and Griffin fan, but Ibaka dunked from behind the free throw line and got a 46!! ARE YOU SERIOUS? It should have been Blake and Ibaka in the final round, however Blake still would have won because he just so damn impressive. Just a fun fact – Blake is the first player in the NBA to participate in all 3 days of the All Star Weekend. My major problem with the Dunk contest was how branded it was. Kia paid some serious dough for that final dunk! The entire contest was a damn commercial and it got old quick. I think TNT and the NBA agreed to say “Kia” every five words. Next year let’s make it about the fans and just have the players dunk the ball. I don’t even want to get into the stupid rules for the Dunk Contest this year because really it was just an hour long Kia commercial.
Don’t worry people, tomorrow I will share my thoughts on Carmelo finally being traded to the Knicks!

1 comment:

  1. You will care when it affects you! When gas is $10 per gallon, Egypt will be important. If you were a Wisconsin school teacher, unionization would important. If you were losing your house, Federal intervention would be important. That is when politics matter, when it affects YOU.
    As far as the NBA, who cares?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, your comments are greatly appreciated!